Friday, May 8, 2009

Ask and you shall receive







Sorry it´s been a while... we spent a few days in the Canyon and there was not internet there.

Just as I was somewhat complaining about the fact that I had not seen ONE alpaca (llama) in this country when they are supposedly all over the place... I saw a million on the way to the canyon. Herds and herds of them. When we got to our hotel in Chivay there was actually a pet alpaca living in the courtyard! Ask and you shall receive. I found out that there was once 36 breeds of alpacas in Peru and certain breeds are now domesticated. The white fluffy ones are domesticated and the orange little guys are still wild. At least that´s what the lady at the museum told us.

Chivay was the first village you can stay at on the south side of the canyon. This area is basically a series of villages and farmland set in the walls a huge-mongous canyon. BEAUTIFUL!!! It must be corn season because everywhere I looked there were kids, donkeys, and old women hauling corn back to their village. The women in these villages are decked out in the most extravagant clothing (while working in the crops). Sequins, bright colors, patterns, decorative hats, long dresses! My first thought was that we just missed a performance or maybe it there was a big festival that day. Nope, just their daily getup. I read that the women don´t like there picture taken because they believe the camera is an ¨eye that steals your soul¨... soooo I had to sneak a few photos while they weren´t looking but you HAVE to see these outfits!

We hiked about an hour or so down to some local hot springs (aguas calientes). On the way a little girl (probably 4 years old) popped out of nowhere and ran across the street to us. Scared the bejesus out of me! It was a very poor attempt to rob us... maybe even her first try. We didn´t have any valuables on us so I really didn´t mind that she was all over my pockets. They learn at a very young age! The springs were awesome, probably the only thing going on in Chivay. After about 45 minutes, the hot springs stole all my energy and sent me home. I went to bed around 9 that night and frrrrooooze! Who knew it would be so cold? When 5:30 rolled around and it was time to get up I jumped out of bed and was ready to go catch the 6:00 bus. We run to the bus station and NO ONE was there! The bus didn´t leave until 7am. Dang!

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I heart alpacas! I think they're the cutest little things in the whole world!!! LUCKYYYY! (in napoleon dynamite voice) Love you! Be careful! Wow...just met my quota for exclamation points for the week. :)

    ReplyDelete