Thursday, May 28, 2009

Diving at Cousins






Diving was everything I hoped it would be AND MORE!!! I hate to say it but the measly old octopus that I saw yesterday (that I was sooo excited about) WAS BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER by todays experience! Our entire boat was speechless today on the way home. It was that good. REALLY!

It took a while to get to our dive site. We drove 45 minutes to get to the other side of the island then took a boat for 1 hour and 45 minutes to Isla San Salvador (aka James Island... all the islands have about three names). Three of the eight divers got sea sick but recovered quickly after the first dive. We did a quick ¨refresher¨ which consisted of jumping in the water, going down to the bottom only 10 meters or so, filling our masks with water and clearing them, taking out the regulator and puting it back in, and swiming up. All in all it took about 5 minutes! Ahhh! Mind you that this was my FIRST DIVE after my open water certification I did last year in Thailand. So I was nervous. Everyone else had over 100 dives. I was the rookie! The dive site was called Cousins. Right off the bat my fin broke. So I switched fins with the dive master and it was really big on me. I almost lost it a few times. That stressed me out a little. Then we was two white tip reef sharks IMMEDIATELY and that took quite a bit of my air. Soon to follow was a school of golden rays and eagles rays (probably 30 all together)! AMAZING. Before I knew it... I WAS OUT OF AIR!!! I must have been breathing like a mad woman because everyone else was only at half tank. Rookie. So I had to share oxygen with the dive master for the remainder of the dive. Never in my life did I think I would actually run out of air and have to use another regulator... especially not on my first dive EVER! I have to admit it was nice because he was able to point out all the wild life. We saw loads of sea turtles, chinese lobsters, starfish bigger than your head, some ugly sea snake, a stone or scorpion fish, a school of baracuda (over 100), two sea horses, sea lions, trumpet fish, fur seals, penguins, sharks, and sting rays. Just to name a few. AND about 50 dolphins followed us in the middle of the ocean playing in the waves so close I could reach out and touch them. Oh yeah and I spotted some blue footed boobies but that was above water. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! What a successful dive! I don´t think it could possibly get any better! Usually they see hammerhead sharks at Cousins, but I was more than satisfied with our sightings. WOW! Cousins was sooo good today that instead of diving at a different spot for our second dive we went back for more! I might have to go again at a different island! I wish Prati was able to see all of this with me. He did snorkel in Tortuga Bay and saw an eagle ray. We was excited about it! I thought that was cute.

3 comments:

  1. Pey,
    Sounds amazing!! I can't believe what you're up to... it makes me jealous to say the least. Anyhow, Rob Shaul was in two days ago and he is an interesting dude... definitely not worried about your fitness level to maintain down there. I'm glad you're well. keep loving life,

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were there to dive with you! lovelovelove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Caymans I saw an Eagle Ray and that was the highlight until a single Barracuda followed me after facing off at 20 feet. So I feel for Prati and understand his excitement. But we are so jealous of you! Love ya! Look forward to hearing about the next dive!

    ReplyDelete